Thursday, August 16, 2007

random musing...




i watched Bill Maher's most recent HBO special and i have officially come to the conclusion that getting involved in politics is like opening up Pandora's Box and then trying to grab at elusive escapees to shove back in. The problem is that once those evils leave the box they grow, thus making it harder to fit them back in. Inevitably one must choose what to save and what to let go of. I don't mean to make it seem like Bill Maher had anything to do with this most recent epiphany, nor do I believe that all polittics are evil, it is just that the more involved you get the more it seemss you lose the focus on what it is you really believe. I start to question, what is truth? and what makes one person's truth more valid than another's? I hate to be a what if type of person, but i must ask, what if none of this matters?

It's interesting because I like how Bill Maher can laugh at himself, laugh at the outrageousness of some of his rants, yet at the same time I laugh uncomfortably because a part of me thinks, hmm, he's kind of right, and simultaneously, he's kind of not. That is the culmination of how I feel about most political happenings. So what will it take for me to choose a side? Why do I feel like it makes life infinitely more difficult if I don't? Otherwise it is like trying to memorize the stars in the sky you see from your house each night. Ultimately 'your' sky is not just yours, and what you see is only a tiny fragment of the larger sky. You may memorize that sky, but alas it changes all of the time, and even if you swear one star is really Jupiter, and another stays the same all year, it is pointless. I probably don't make sense anymore. This is what politics does to me...invigorates me, confuses me, perplexes me, and so many other feelings that get lost in between confusion and perplexity!


Inspiring quote of the moment:

"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things."

"I dare say you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment

....THANK YOU FOR READING!....

Related Posts with Thumbnails