Wednesday, August 12, 2009

CINEMATIC KARMA: "Where the Wild Things Are"

Really I have wanted to post about this trailer for so long but I can't contain myself waiting anymore. If you are not deeply moved and inspired by the following, then you need to revisit your childhood!!

BE INSPIRED, REVISIT MAGIC:




Did you not swoon over the depictions of the wild things? The overall mood of the mise en scene and cinematography? Did the juxtaposition of reality and fantasy mixed with Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" not make you fall back into a state of nostalgia, but also trigger a tear somewhere in the corner of your eye? Did you start to think Fall will be wonderful because this film will be out? Did you say to yourself, "Wow Spike Jonze, thank you for waiting for the right film!"? If not, I said it all for you.


Not only is Maurice Sendak's original book one of my earliest inspirations, but I continue to read this book aloud every year to my...(gasp) High School students. You would be surprised at how many of them have never glimpsed the magic of classic children's books. With some of my more advanced classes I have a deeper discussion about the power and symbolism behind children's books, but usually I just let the art express itself. 


I can't wait to see how the film pans out and if it keeps to the integrity of the story. The imagery reminds me of the way children's films were made when I was growing up. A certain darkness and isolation that is quite akin to how so many kids still feel. As far as I can see, the trailer seems to do that and more, and I hear Sendak supports the film....so I patiently wait and contemplate taking out all of my original (still in the boxes) Todd McFarlane toys to ogle.

5 comments:

  1. deshilholles9:37 PM

    If you're a big Sendak fan, you may want to visit the Rosenbach in Philly some time -- barely a two hour drive from Shaolin. I was given a look-around by a curator there back in 2004 because some unique manuscript stuff related to a topic I've published on is housed there. As for Sendak, I see him mentioned on most Rosenbach flyers that come in the mail. They have the original art there for Where the Wild Things Are and a number of other books, plus other sendakiana. As they say in the lingo, yo check it out...

    I trust all's well from your coign of vantage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very excited about this film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:25 AM

    I remember when you read that to us. And somehow not shockingly, it was the most sophisticated book we read all year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait to see this movie. One of my favorite books when I was a kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

....THANK YOU FOR READING!....

Related Posts with Thumbnails